Chlorinating a Well
1. Obtain one pound (1lb) of Pool Shock Treatment. (hypochlorite ion/preferably 65% available chlorine)
2. Remove the well cap, which is attached to the well casing (4-6 bolts). Pour the entire contents of Shock Treatment into a clean pail of water, stir and pour down the well shaft (the Shock will not entirely dissolve at this time)
3. Connect a garden hose to an outside hose bib or other threaded connection. Put the other end of the hose into the well and turn on the faucet. Let the water run down the sides of the well casing, moving the hose from time to time in order to allow the entire casing to come in contact with the chlorinated water. Do this for at least six hours, then turn off the tap and remove the hose from the well. (This will facilitate complete mixing of the chlorine throughout the well system, including the casing, pump, well screen and pressure tank)
4. Run ALL FAUCETS within the house, including the outside hose bibs, one at a time, until you can smell the chlorine at each faucet. This will ensure that the entire system will be disinfected. Shut off each tap and let the chlorinated water remain in the system at least twelve (12) hours or overnight.
5. Replace the well cap.
6. DON’T USE THE WATER FOR CONSUMPTION for at least twelve hours.
7. Upon completion of the holding period, run the water to waste for several hours, but not into a SEPTIC SYSTEM, or until the chlorine taste is dilute enough to be unobjectionable. For a typical well this will take three to four hours. NOTE: To avoid pump overheating and possible damage, turn off the water when the flow is at a trickle and wait at least fifteen minutes before turning on the pump again.
8. After a week of use, retest for bacteria.
9. In some cases, one chlorination treatment WILL NOT be sufficient. Repeat disinfection procedure as necessary. If you have attempted this procedure two to three times and if bacteria is still present, permanent treatment may be required. Permanent treatment may include a chlorine injection system or an ultra-violet light unit.
10. This procedure is recommended every 1-2 years.